Let’s just be real, exercising sucks. I figure that scientists will eventually figure out that some humans are wired to actually enjoy strenuous activity while others prefer watching these people strain. If you’re wondering what inspired this post, it was my son’s soccer game, sitting in 90 degree weather, melting along with the other parents while our children ran in the inhumane temperatures.
I remember as a 9-year-old on a Saturday morning, I would throw on my blue 1-piece leotard, go down to the cable box (no remote, you would have to press a button to switch from 1 of your 20 stations) and flip on the Disney channel. There, in all it’s glory was Mousercise, a workout show for children. I wouldn’t actually do the workouts. I’d just lay on my sofa in my blue leotard and watch the perky woman guide eighties-clad children to physical fitness.
“Why don’t you get out on the floor and do the workout with them?” My dad would ask as he zipped up his hoodie to jog to the Y.
“I will in 10 minutes. I’m just waking up.” I would respond knowing full well I would not be moving from the sofa.
Growing up, my father was adamant about working out. Sometimes he would jog to the YMCA (probably 2-3 miles) or in miserable weather would drive. My dad was one of the few dads that had a 6-pack and still had much of his hair. So to see his daughter lay on the sofa watching children exercise while in a leotard was probably a little frustrating.
And unapologetically, I’ll tell you why I don’t like exercising. Here’s my list in no particular order.
- Though I love taking showers, I don’t love taking 2 of them a day. And if you workout on your lunch (yes, yours truly use to do this), you are then forced to apply makeup twice and do your hair twice. Ain’t nobody got time for that.
- Along with 2 showers comes extra clothes to wash. Are you kidding me? I wash everyone’s clothes in this house. My sons have soccer practice almost every night, that means 2 outfits a day for them as well. I would implement naked day once a week if I could, just to get out of doing laundry.
- I’ve tried jogging in the cold and though undiagnosed, I think I have TMJ, no not TMI, TMJ. Basically when my jaw gets cold, the pain in unbearable. Like, tears in my eyes painful. So yes, I’m blaming my lack of exertion on a jaw problem.
- Exercising is good in theory and for the first 2 minutes you’re pumped, you’re gonna do this, you’re gonna kick ass until you begin to mentally review everything on your to-do list. Before you know it, you’ve been staring at a shiny object for the past 5 minutes, wondering if your coupon is still good at Old Navy.
- Like spicy food, exercising is just uncomfortable to me. I have no desire to “push myself” or “get out of my comfort zone”. I want to be in my bed, binge watching The Office.
So yeah, I hate exercising. How about you? Do you “love” it (liar)?