I couldn’t resist the Frank’s Red Hot slogan of “I put that shit on everything” when deciding on a title. I’ve been getting into more natural skincare remedies lately and coconut oil is something I’ve used off and on for years now. As I type this, I have it around my eyes, prayin’ to the sweet baby Jesus to let it help with crows feet and fine lines.
Though there are two main types of coconut oil (refined or unrefined), if used for topical treatments, refined is completely adequate. I found a refined version at the Dollar Tree for one buck! Here are 20 amazing ways you can use this wonder oil!
For the Skin
- Makeup remover
- Shaving balm
- Body scrub (1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of ground coffee)
- Body moisturizer
- Great for cracked heels
- Hair moisturizer
- Prevents flyaways
- Hair de-tangler
- A very low SPF (it doesn’t replace a proper SPF but wanted to throw this out in case of emergency)
- Wound healing (apply to minor scratches or cuts then add a Band-Aid
- Soothes eczema or psoriasis
- Help the itching of bug bites
- Cold sore treatment
For the House
- Softens real leather (but check on a small spot first to ensure there isn’t discoloration)
- Carpet stain removal (mix equal parts of coconut oil and baking soda to form a paste, apply to stain wait 5-8 minutes then remove)
- Cuticle oil
- Helps chapped lips
So do you see why I put that shit on everything? When I first discovered coconut oil, I couldn’t believe all the uses. And the above is just a touch of what you can do with it and that’s just topical! Have you guys used coconut oil? If so, what do you use it for? Do you think it’s a wonder treatment or just a fad?